Responding to Sexual Misconduct Allegations


UC Systemwide Policies

Responding to Sexual Misconduct Allegations

If you’ve been accused of sexual violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating/domestic violence or stalking, there are campus services available to help you understand your rights and the investigation and adjudication processes.
It is important to note that the staff providing respondent services are not legally required to maintain confidentiality. However, as a general practice, the staff will request signed consent from you before disclosing personally identifiable information.
Student contact:
Center for Support and Intervention

University Health Services
The campus is accountable to all students and all students are accountable for their own actions.  If you have been named as someone who may have violated a campus policy or possibly committed a crime, you will be answering to various authorities in the upcoming months.  During this time, counselors at University Health Services are available to offer you a confidential and non-judgmental space to explore your actions and their impact, experience your emotions, and receive psycho-education and support as you move through this challenging period.

  • Social Services has social workers who specialize in all areas of sexual and gender harassment.
  • Counseling & Psychological Services offers a broad range of counseling services
    510-642-9494 or walk into the Tang Center, 3rd floor

Please be aware that although counseling sessions are confidential, records may be subpoenaed in the event of a court case. 

Other Resources
You may also choose to seek advice and guidance from these resources:

  • Student Advocate Office
    Berkeley’s student government (ASUC) offers the Student Advocate’s Office which has a staff of volunteers committed to providing support and advocacy to students involved in alleged violations of misconduct or academic dishonesty.
  • Attorney for Students
    The Attorney for Students advises currently registered Cal students regarding their legal questions, rights, and obligations. Please review the information and materials on Attorney for Students page before making an appointment - they may answer your questions.

University Health Services offers students after-hours emergency consultation with a counselor 
and crisis resource referrals by calling (855) 817-5667.