Get Help

If you’ve experienced sexual harassment and/or sexual violence, please know that what happened is not your fault. You deserve safety and respect, always. You may be experiencing a wide range of feelings such as shock, fear, disbelief, recurring memories, outrage, confusion, sadness, despair, and anger. All of your feelings are valid. Whether you tell someone, who you tell, and how you tell your story is entirely your decision. Regardless of what you decide, there are many people at UC Berkeley who are committed to helping students, faculty and staff.


Learn Where to Get Support


Medical Care

Urgent Care at the Tang Center

Hours, Location, and Contact Information


The Tang Center provides general medical care for students, regardless of insurance status. Faculty and staff who have been hurt during the course of their employment may also receive treatment at Tang. The Urgent Care Clinic is a drop-in service, meaning that people in need of immediate medical attention may be seen there without an appointment.

Tang Services include:

  • Assessment and treatment of injuries
  • Testing for pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections, including HIV; emergency contraception
  • Arrangements to go to a locally designated medical center for evidence collection*
  • On-site counselors to discuss options, provide emotional support, and help with academic accommodations, if needed.

*The Tang Center is not an "evidence collection" site, meaning that it is not equipped to perform forensic exams and preserve physical evidence of a crime. However, the Tang Center will make arrangements for people seeking forensic exams to go to Highland Hospital, which houses the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) for adults in the Berkeley/Oakland area.

Please Note: State law requires all medical providers to report suspected violent injury to law enforcement. It is your choice whether or not to participate in an investigation.


When Tang is closed, you can find support at one of these local resources:

  • Bay Area Women Against Rape: (510) 845-7273
  • Sexual Assault Hotline at Highland Hospital: (510) 534-9291
  • Highland Emergency at (510) 437-4559 x7
  • Tang After-Hours Assistance at (510) 643-7197

About Medical Care after Sexual Assault:

Your physical and emotional safety are first and foremost. Make the choices that feel best for you.

Some medical concerns may not be immediately apparent, such as sexually transmitted infections (STIs), internal injuries and pregnancy. Even if you do not wish to have a doctor or nurse collect evidence for an investigation, seeking prompt medical evaluation may be beneficial. Some medications, such as emergency contraception, are most effective when administered as soon as possible. If you think that you may want to pursue criminal charges immediately or in the future, a forensic exam conducted soon after an assault may yield valuable evidence.

  • If you're interested in having a forensic exam:
    • It's best not to shower, bathe, wash your hands, eat, drink or brush your teeth. 
    • If possible, place each item of clothing in a separate paper bag (no plastic).
    • Leave the area where the assault occurred undisturbed.
  • You can call 911 for a police response and accompaniment to medical care. Evidence collection is done in the county where the assault occurred, usually within the first 72 hours following an assault (the earlier, the better).



Emotional Support


If you or someone you know has been impacted by sexual violence, dating/domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment, please know that there are trained and caring professionals at UC Berkeley who are available to offer support , if you wish. Every question you have is valid and important.
Advocacy and support for staff, faculty, and students is available through the the PATH to Care Center (confidential). Students may also access the Social Services unit at the Tang Center, and Staff and Faculty may receive support at Employee Assistance (formerly CARE Services) also at Tang. 
PATH to Care Center (for students)
  • Who? The PATH to Care Center provides affirming, empowering, and confidential support for those who have experienced gendered violence, including: sexual harassment, dating and intimate partner violence, sexual assault, stalking, and sexual exploitation. Advocates bring a non-judgmental, caring approach to exploring all options, rights, and resources.

  • What? The PATH to Care Center provides holistic support, helping victims/survivors to access resources related to any aspect of life that is impacted by sexual violence, intimate partner violence, stalking, or harassment. Services are provided at free-of-charge. It can accompany them to appointments, including medical, legal, administrative, and academic appointments. 

  • Where? You can reach the PATH to Care Center at (510) 642-1988.

Social Services (for students)
  • Who? Social Services provides confidential counseling support to students impacted by sexual assault, stalking, harassment, and relationship or other violence. To see our full range of services go to our website.

  • What? Social Services staff will assess a student’s immediate needs, whether they are medical, academic, legal, emotional, financial, or family-related. The staff then works with the student to develop a plan to meet those needs. They also offer student groups and workshops, including a group for sexual assault survivors. 

  • Where? You can reach Social Services at (510) 642-6074 and at the 2nd Floor of the Tang Center, Room 2280.

Be Well at Work Employee Assistance

  • Who? Be Well at Work Employee Assistance is the campus faculty and staff assistance program providing free, confidential problem assessment and referral for UC Berkeley faculty and staff. It is also the employee assistance program for the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Employee Assistance also provides free and confidential consultation and training services for faculty and staff management and campus administration related to problems that impact workplace functioning. 

  • What? Employee Assistance offers problem assessment, crisis intervention, and referral to community resources

  • Where? You can reach Employee Assistance at (510) 643-7754.






It is important that you find a safe and secure environment. If you're in immediate danger and need to contact UCPD, please call 911 from a “land line” or campus phone, or 510-642-3333 from a cell phone. UCPD can also help with information about Emergency Protective Orders and Temporary Restraining Orders. 

  • UCPD non-emergency number: (510) 642-6760

  • UCPD emergency number: 510-642-3333, or 911 from a campus phone


PATH to Care Center

The PATH to Care Center provides affirming, empowering, and confidential support for those who have experienced gendered violence, including: sexual harassment, dating and intimate partner violence, sexual assault, stalking, and sexual exploitation. Advocates bring a non-judgmental, caring approach to exploring all options, rights, and resources. You can reach the PATH to Care Center at (510) 642-1988.



After experiencing violence, the most important things are getting to a safe place and taking care of yourself. Realize that what happened to you is not your fault and that you are in control of what happens next.

Telling someone is a brave act, but there are many reasons why you might not feel comfortable sharing with other people. At the same time, there are many benefits to telling someone what happened, and there are several options that you may pursue according to the kind of support that you want. Note: if you decide to tell someone, you may want to ask about their responsibilities related to reporting and confidentiality as early in the conversation as possible. 


Click here to visit our page with details on student reporting options.


Responding to Allegations

Responding to Allegations

If you’ve been accused of sexual violence, sexual assault, sexual harassment, dating/domestic violence or stalking, there are campus services available to help you understand your rights and the investigation and adjudication processes.

It is important to note that the staff providing respondent services are not legally required to maintain confidentiality. However, as a general practice, the staff will request signed consent from you before disclosing personally identifiable information.

Student contact:
Center for Support and Intervention

Students: If you receive notification from the Center for Student Conduct (CSC) about possible violations of the code, you are being contacted because the CSC received information that indicates you may have acted in a way that is not aligned with what is expected of you as a student.

For more information on your notification, the student conduct process, and your rights and responsibilities, please see the Center for Student Conduct website:


Students: visit the Responding to Sexual Misconduct Allegations page for more details and student resources.


Staff contact:
Employee Relations, Central Human Resources
(510) 642-7053, option 3

University Health Services offers students after-hours emergency consultation with a counselor 
and crisis resource referrals by calling (855) 817-5667.